Phil Simms joined Mike Francesa on WFAN this morning from Chicago, where he will do CHI-SD. His comments on the Eagles and Gmen are noteworthy.
1) HOU- Leinart will takeover for Schaub, who is out for the rest of the year. Can Leinart do it adequately? Yes. Too many good components to the team to not make the playoffs. Still has concerns about Leinart, because what Simms saw in preseason was not encouraging.
2) CIN-BAL. Probably w/o AJ Green today. The rookie WR was used in the same sentence as Calvin Johnson. Dalton as a young QB is not a drive-it-down-the-field QB, a younger version of Brees, who took a few years to get better in the league. BAL, when it was crunch time vs SEA, could not stop them.
3) SEA. Tarvaris Jackson is VASTLY improved from earlier in the season. Seattle is improved.
4) MIA-BUF. Phil is not looking for BUF to bounce back from the past two losses to DAL and NYJ. MIA has a scheme defense. Matt Moore is more decisive. Give him time, has more confidence and conviction. Brandon Marshall, like him or not, is the real deal. BUF does not have a great WR, they went to the well too many times on deeper routes. BUF does not have a pass rush. Best thing about the Bills is that they have YAC, their receivers can break tackles and get more yards after the catch.
5) SD-CHI. Early in the year the ball did not bounce Rivers' way. And now of late, the WRs are not as dynamic. Gates is not the same, Tomlinson gone, Sproles gone. Winning today would be like winning 3 games for the Chargers. Rivers admits he has to change the way he plays. Without Rodgers in the discussion, you have a hard time finding a better QB in the league than Jay Cutler. 6 TDs 2 INTs in the last 4 games, but those stats cover up the fact that Cutler has been outstanding. His OL is poor too in pass protection. They are good run blockers. The Bears were the Chargers 5 weeks ago. But the difference is that the Chargers do not have a defense. Cutler is not in the Hall of Fame, but he puts the ball in a lot of tough spots for some terrific throws, get hit, get up and do it again. Francesa points out that the Chargers are terrible on specials coverage, and today they face Hester. 3 New starters on the OL for SD.
6) PHL-NYG. No Boley and Bradshaw, "huge" says Simms. Young the backup QB. Francesa points out how the Giants traditionally have trouble vs backup QBs, a valid observation. Simms points out the scheme that teams have used successfully on defense vs the Eagles this year: Man up and be physical vs the Eagles WRs. When those Eagles WRs get zone they find the holes and do much better. The Giants pass rush has to get more consistent. The DL needs to be great. The Giants WRs are the most underrated in the league.
On Showtime, Phil Simms on PHL-NYG: "I like the Giants. The Eagles? What makes us think now, do we have enough evidence that the light came on on and now they are going to make it happen?"
UltimateNYG here. Is everyone paying attention to Phil Simms? That the Giants have to use man coverage vs the Eagles WRs? Fewell? Fewell? We want more Man coverage, this week and every week.
look at the replay of MCKOYS last run and look and JUSTIN TUCK...SMH i feel bad even pointing it out but he looks like DOO DOO on a stick
LOL we lost to a 3-6 team with 4th string WR's and 3rd string type QB.....i fell for this crap again...the PAtriots win made me think we had a good team...NOPE...same garbage NY GIANTS team that TC brings every season... there is no way on gods greens earth i will have to deal with this COACHING STAFF again after this year....LOVE THE SITE not sure if i need to come back this year....you can clearly see this is a 8-8, 9-7 team...ELI looks horrible, the recievers were worst...defense could not make a play on a 18 play drive....18 plays LOL i cant help but to laff...VINCE YOUNG went 18 plays and threw a TD pass to win with the GOD AWFUL TEAM HE PLAYS FOR.....this lost is worst than the lost LAST year to eliminate us from the playoffs...atleast that EAGLES team was good
only office we had all night is hurry up, and we run it at the end of the half and end of the game....GILBRIDE u are the smartest person in the world
that DRIVE put together by VY shows me we have no PLAYMAKERS on D...TUCK looks like crap and wish he would just sit down until he is healthy, he not helping right now, the next play he makes will be the first 1 he makes....
all those linemen we cut this off season, how great of a idea that has turned out to be..i dont care if they are all on their couches eating ice cream right now, they cannot be as bad as this line...
all night he has been beatin in the pass, tell me why HERTZLICH is in the game? he has looked lost ALL NIGHT and was out there on the most important play for the D all night SMH
regardless of how many play #94 makes, looking at our LB core u have to aks ya self WTF is going on in the GM's office
think about his...only yards we get was from hurry up offense...HOW ABOUT RUNNING SOME FORM OF THE NO HUDDLE? get them unbalanced!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW IS GILBRIDE PAID to do what he does?
2 and 1 turns into 3rd and 16....week after week after week after week same story....TC just cannot get these guys focused.......TIMELY bonehead penalties on cue
Eagles WR Steve Smith returns to NY tonight but don’t be surprised if he winds up there next season as well after his contract expires.
Why in hell would we bring him back ?
Maybe just another BSPN.
I didn't expect the Eagles defense to come up as big as they did Sunday night...as shocked as you are...they looked almost competent...
More Schefter on NFL Countdown.
"Don’t be surprised if he also returns there next season. Sources close to Smith say he is open to returning to the Giants next season once his contract expires after this year.We know that Eli Manning has a very comfortable relationship with Steve Smith. Mario Manningham also is a free agent, and there’s a chance that Steve Smith could wind up back in New York with the Giants."
@Arthuro That is not how I remember his in NY. Mario is good for at least 2 bad plays per game. Couple that with Eli's (thank goodness not in the last few games) 2 to 4 misses per game and it's a hill that just can't be climbed. How many times go you see players move to a new team in their prime and do nothing for their new team.
@capt george Well have a look to his 10 completions and his 3 drops and then you'll see if you still want him over Manningham ...
$mith has the same kind of brain farts Mario has but none of the big plays.
@capt george Have you seen Smith play ?